Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Anyone for Taco Soup???

     I kept reading online about everybody making taco soup.  It sounded good, so about a month ago I decided I would surf the internet to find a recipe and try it out.  We tried it and Yum!  I also have a habit of taking recipes and making them my own by adding or taking away ingredients.  Anyway I decided to add some pasta and make it Sunday for dinner.  Here is my best attempt at replicating the recipe:

Taco Soup with a Twist
Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 can red kidney beans
8 oz. penne pasta
1 can chicken broth
8 oz. diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
1 packet ranch dressing
1 packet taco seasoning
4 cups water

     In a large sauce pan brown the hamburger and drain if needed.  Add the taco seasoning, ranch dressing, beans, tomatoes, chicken broth and about 2 cups of the water.  Bring to a boil.  Add the penne pasta.  Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender.  Depending on how much broth you want you may need to more water as the pasta cooks.

     Depending on the serving size, I was able to feed my family of four and have leftovers for another meal which we put in the freezer.  This could probably be made in a crock pot too. 

     I made it with the regular penne pasta, but I think it was a little big for the soup.  It would have turned out a little better with a mini pasta.  I may continue to tweak it, but the meal is becoming one of Mike and I's favorites.  It's just too bad that it's getting warmer outside, so we may have to wait until fall to break it out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment