Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Educating...

     As part of the daycare I try to incorporate a weekly theme and work with the children on practical things they will need to be prepared for Kindergarten.  Every now and then I stop and wonder what it is they are learning.  Circle time is where I do a lot of the direct teaching and sometimes it can get a bit chaotic.  It makes my heart warm when I hear a parent say something that they knew they learned from here {i.e., counting in Spanish}.  Last night, however, I was the witness to my own teaching.  I like to ask different questions to the kids before they go to sleep and last night Noah's question was just simply to count.  He surprised me and counted all the way to 50 {only missing 15}.  But even before that, at dinner I was pretty sure I heard him count backwards from 10.  Since I wasn't sure I asked him if he would do it again.  Which he did.  Because I am never privied to what it is exactly that he is learning at preschool I asked him if that is something he just does with me or do they work on it at preschool.  He said just you.  Makes me a happy, proud mom, to one smart little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment