Monday, April 30, 2012

Because God Made Him Like That

     Oh the conversations we have been having at home recently.  Mikayla has definitely been more inquisitive and more aware.  Growing up I never really had "the talk" with mom, but I have always planned to have it with Mikayla.  Originally I was going to talk to her about it when she turned seven.  But when that time came around I felt she was still too young and that I would wait until the summer {more likely it is that I am not ready for her to grow up}.  But here lately she has been asking questions, so I have gingerly introduced some of the facts about growing up and the differences between boys and girls {think above the belt}.  It is more than just growing up that she is more aware of now, it is the color of people's skin, disabilities, and their accents. We have talked a lot about the possibility of having another baby.  And in these discussions I remind them that it is God who decides if and when we will have a baby.  I also like to emphasize that even though they may have their preference to whether they get a baby brother or sister, that too is up to God.  So recently when we were watching a t.v. show and Noah asked why the guy on the show talked like that{with an accent}, Mikayla was quick to offer up, "Because God made him like that."  And so that is how we begin to explain her other curiosities.  We simply explain that God makes each one of us different, and our differences are what make us special.

No comments:

Post a Comment